Vinyl replacement windows are among the most popular options the residential window industry has to offer. However, like all replacement window options, vinyl windows will not be right for everyone. In order to determine whether or not these are the right windows for you, simply take a moment to review both the pros and cons outlined below.
There are several benefits that come along with choosing to install vinyl replacement windows in your home. These benefits include:
- Low Cost - Vinyl replacement windows are typically the most affordable option when it comes to replacing residential windows.
- Easy To Maintain - While you will still be required to wash your windows on a regular basis in order to keep them looking great, this is the only maintenance that your vinyl windows should require over their lifetime.
- Energy Efficient - Vinyl does not conduct heat. As a result of this feature, the addition of vinyl windows to your home can help to prevent the transfer of heat in or out of your home. In the end, what this means for you is that you will be able to enjoy considerably lower heating and cooling bills each month.
There are also some disadvantages that are commonly associated with vinyl windows. These disadvantages include:
- Low Cost Vs Value Ratio - While vinyl replacement windows will have a positive impact on the value of your home, the increase in resale value that you will experience will not be significant when compared to higher end window materials.
- Plastic-Like Appearance - Some people find the plastic-like appearance of vinyl windows to be unattractive. This is especially true when dealing with older style vinyl windows that are only available in a white finish and cannot be effectively painted.
- Not Biodegradable - While new recycling methods are now making it possible for some vinyl windows to be recycled, the fact is that far too many of these windows will still end up in the landfill. This can be a serious problem since vinyl is not a biodegradable material. Homeowners who are environmentally conscious may find the inability to dispose of these windows in an environmentally friendly way to be a serious disadvantage.
The Bottom Line
If you are looking for cost efficient windows that are also easy to care for, vinyl replacement windows through a company like Advance Exteriors Inc. can provide the ideal solution. However, if you are looking to significantly increase the value of your home or are interested in choosing an environmentally friendly building material, you may be better served by another replacement window option, such as solid wood windows.Share